Sunday, March 25, 2007

It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart.


The Little Prince

Has anyone else ever read The Little Prince?
I am most certainly not someone who reads something other than true classics or books of length and substance (which are hard to come by today.)
The thing is, The Little Prince, by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, remains my favorite book of all time. I read it first at age twelve, at which point I was the only kid I knew who was enjoying Shakespeare's Plays (well, I had been since age six... My grandmother would read them to me as a small child.) and Sense and Sensibility. Then my mom got sick, and went out and bought it for me...
The Little Prince is an absolute treasure. It is one of those books that you won't be able to put down, one of those books that you must read and re-read. It's one of those books from which learn something new every time you read it, and you notice something new with every passing year that you re-read it.
Perhaps the two most line in the entire story is:



"Here is my secret. It's quite simple:



One sees clearly only with the heart.



What is essential is invisible to the eye."

Could it be any more true?
Since I re-read it for the seventeen-thousandth time last month, I've been trying really hard to stop living any other way that with my heart first. I've been trying very hard to stop trying to see things with my eyes, and assume things. I've stopped doing things for any reason other than because it feels right inside my heart.
And Since then, I've done a lot of things in an attempt to make my life worthwhile. I think that it's important for me, at this point in my life, to stop trying so hard to live up to other people's expectations and start living up to my own. I used to think that my expectations for myself were pretty low. Now I'm realizing that they are really, really high, and that I can achieve them. I can also have what I want if I actually try.
For so long I have been afraid to try.

Until Next Post,
infinite xs and os,
Sophie

No comments: